September 9, 2015
Does floor marking (floor tape and symbols) improve your productivity and safety?
What company wouldn’t benefit from increased productivity and a reduction in workplace injuries?
How does floor marking help improve productivity?
Here are some examples:
- Marking where completed jobs go reduces search time to quickly move the product to the next operation. Using color-coding such as green for “good to go”, or red for “QC Hold” also helps create a visual system that can be recognized in an instant.
- Marking where the next job goes helps the operator focus on value-added activities and not have to search or guess what to work on next. Having a specific spot and marking the next job makes it super-simple for the operator to know what to work on next. Once again, color-coding can help – using blue can indicate “next job”.
- Mark specific locations for Raw Materials and Finished Goods. How and where you layout materials can save hundreds of hours of search time per year. Using yellow corner markers along with ovals to label locations will speed up identification of materials in a warehouse or shipping-receiving area.
- Create a Pull System and Kanban. When the spot is empty, fill it up. When the marked location is full, stop. This is a simple, visual Kanban system that works well for processes that are next to each other.
- 5S the work area – “A place for everything and everything in its place!” Visually marking where items go saves time and money because you’ll have the right item, at the right location, in the right quantity.
- Other color-coding examples can be used like white to mark off work benches or equipment.
How does floor marking improve safety?
- By marking safe areas to walk versus forklift traffic areas. Most companies use yellow to signify walkways. Add in footprint symbols to ensure that employees and visitors know quickly where the designated walkways are.
- Mark off fire extinguishers, electrical panels and eye wash stations. This can be accomplished with red border kits. The red helps signify safety. By marking off these areas, it helps keep them clear and readily identifiable.
- Mark-off door swing areas or other parts of moving equipment. Use dashed lines or dots to help visually identify these areas.
To finish the poll results – seven percent of the respondents had no opinion and three percent said it didn’t help or made it worse. Wonder what happened there?
If you have questions about floor marking, please give us a call at 888-4 Lean 5S (888-453-2657).
Special bonus – Super September Sale! 25% off our BesTape and 5S Symbols.
August 13, 2015
Here is en excerpt and link to a recent column in SME’ Manufacturing Engineering magazine, SME Speaks column “Lean Today and Tomorrow”
“As I transition from my position as chair of SME’s Lean Certification Oversight and Appeals Committee, I have had the chance to reflect on where we have been and where we are going in the lean, operational excellence or continuous improvement world. The title of this SME Speaks is a takeoff on Henry Ford’s 1926 classic book Today and Tomorrow, and will focus on where lean and certification are today and my prediction of where they will be tomorrow…”
To read the entire story, click here>> SME Speaks
June 9, 2015
If your Dad likes tinkering in the garage or his workshop then give him a hand this Father’s Day to get his tools organized with Tool TracerTM – Peel and Stick Tool Shadows. These are the perfect addition to a well-ordered tool board. Help Dad save time on his projects and reduce stress searching for his favorite tools.
The 25 piece pack has the most common DIY’ers tool shadows ready to go, including:
- 12-piece combination wrench set
- 3-piece plier set
- 2-piece adjustable wrench set
- 6-piece screwdriver set
- 2-piece locking plier set
Choose Dad’s favorite color – 11 colors to choose from. Made from 3 mil polymeric-blend glossy opaque calendered vinyl film; these tool shadows are long lasting with a 4 year interior or exterior durability rating.
With these professional tool shadows, your dad will be the superstar of the neighborhood! Get him a second set for his tools at work.
For more information>> Tool Tracer – Pre-Cut Tool Shadows
June 1, 2015
Get him something he deserves – Tool Tracer TM Peel & Stick Tool Shadows
Give a gift that Dad will actually use this Father’s Day – Tool Tracer TM Tool Shadows. Dad doesn’t want another tie; he wants something for his garage or workshop. If your Dad is the kind of guy that likes to work with his hands then Tool Tracer TM – Tool Shadows are a perfect present.
These assorted vinyl tool shadows are ideal for Tool Shadow Boards or anywhere you want to mark a tool location. The Tool TracerTM Tool Shadows adhere to all types of pegboards including: wood, plastic or metal –as well as: glass, concrete, desktops or workbenches, and dry erase boards. These shadows make it easy to identify when a tool is not in its proper place so dad knows what’s missing. You can also get these in Dad’s favorite color – 11 colors to choose from!
- Standard hand-tool shapes 25 Piece or 50 Piece packs to choose from
- Exclusive Tool-ID BandTM
- Made from 3 mil polymeric-blend glossy opaque calendered vinyl film
- Long lasting, 4 year interior or exterior durability
- Sunlight fade resistant
- Clear permanent adhesive
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Mark your tools and location to stay organized and instantly know if something is missing or out of place
- Don’t waste time searching for things, get more projects and work done quicker with less effort
- Visually pleasing and professional looking
- Less stress knowing where your tools are
- Sets a standard that anyone can follow
These are great for work too!
May 27, 2015
Thank you to everyone that participated in our poll regarding time wasted searching for tools. Here are the results.
Greater than 50% of the respondents said that more than 15 minutes is wasted per day (per employee) searching for tools.
That time adds up quickly. Let’s say you have five technicians losing 15 minutes per day searching for items they need to do their work, which equals 75 minutes per day, or 735 hours per year. If you take the 735 hours at $20 per hour, that is equivalent to losing $7,500 of productive time(1).
A simple way to reduce this waste of time, effort and dollars is to get the tools organized. Something as easy as using Tool Tracer Peel and Stick Tool Shadows can reduce the time lost searching for items. Check out Tool Tracer at 5S Supply.com.
Note (1): Based on 5 days per week and 52 weeks per year. Feel free to use your own number to complete your calculation.
Please help us with another quick, one question poll “Does Floor Marking Improve Productivity and Safety?” We will share the results. And please share the poll with your co-workers and colleagues!
January 16, 2015
Please help us with this quick, one questions poll Time Wasted Searching for Tools. We will share the results.
Please share the poll with your friends!
Click on the image below or http://survey.constantcontact.com/poll/a07eaev2r7ti4wwzagn/start.html
January 13, 2015
The BesTape Border Kit is a convenient way to visually layout an area so it is easy to see the purpose of the zone. Use these as part of your Safety, 5S or Visual Lean System. The kits are made with our extremely durable BesTape with (2) 3’ sections and (1) 2’ section. The notched corners make it easy to align and install.
BesTape Border Kit Uses
To help comply with OSHA Regulation 1910.303 for electrical panels, use these border kits to visually mark off the area so that personnel will refrain from placing objects in front of the panel.
Red for Safety
- Fire Equipment and Fire Extinguishers
- Electrical Panels – Keep Clear
- First Aid Kits
Green for First Aid or Safety Equipment
- Eye Wash Stations
- Emergency Safety Showers
- First Aid Kits
Yellow for attention
- Trash Cans
- Pillars and posts
- Parts of equipment that extend or stick out
- Cleaning supplies or Shine supplies
Buy a roll of BesTape (any size, any color) and get a BesTape Border Kit for Free! This is a great way to try out both of these floor marking items. Save $24.00! Click here for more information>> BesTapeBorderKitPromo