Five Easy 5S & Lean Things to do On Earth Day 2013
April 22, 2013
Here’s a quick list of things related to 5S and Lean that you can easily do to celebrate Earth Day and make your workplace (and our planet) better.
- Go to your 5S Red Tag Holding Area and see if there is something there that can be recycled. Maybe there is something that you could re-purpose or use in your work area. This will save your organization money from having to buy a new item and you extended the life of an item you already have.
- Organize some consumable items in your work area. Determine the best location for them. Consider using Point-of-Use-Storage (or a Kanban System – like Kanban Indicator Bins); this will help reduce motion and transportation waste. Determine how many you actually need and who replenishes hem. This alone may help you reduce the unnecessary inventory you carry and reduce the waste of inventory or storage.
- Put a “Shine” on your workplace. Clean and inspect your work area – this not only will make your spot seem nicer and more pleasant to be in, it can also help improve the air quality, reduce allergens and germs.
- Create Standards for a task in your work area. Work with your team to determine the best way to get a task done and then standardize it. This will help you be more efficient and effective plus everyone will do it the same way so it makes it more consistent and easier to train new people.
- Keep 5S going by sustaining your efforts. Consider using our exclusive 5S Sustain Campaign Board. You can assign 5S related tasks to team members each week to keep 5S forefront in their minds while help to continuously improve your work space.
Remember to Reduce-Reuse-Recycle! 5S and Lean are a great way to help.